Joseph Goldstein with his wife, Ida and his son Al emigrated from Kremenets, Poland in 1906. They landed in Halifax and were immediately sent to Collingwood, Ontario and started to raise a family. After a few years, they moved to Toronto and settled in the area known as “The Junction” where Joseph established a feed & grain business at 3348 Dundas St. W.
Joseph and Ida had four sons (Al, Norm, Eddie & Archie) and three daughters (Sue, Rose & Annie). The family lived over the store at 3348 Dundas St.W. After a few years the family moved to 221 St. Johns Rd. Ida died in 1923 and Joseph soon married his niece Geitel Jafine. They had a daughter (Molly).
Joseph was one of the founding members of the original “Junction Shul” and served as President. The Congregational services were originally held in a building at the corner of Maria & Runnymede Rd. which Joseph eventually purchased when the congregation moved to the present synagogue in 1912. Joseph’s son Al served as President from 1958 until his death in 1983 and Al’s son Edwin has been the President since then.
TO KNESSETH ISRAEL - THE SYNAGOGUE TODAY