Jewish Boys’ Club Central Branch, Senior Council, 1935. Ontario Jewish Archives, accession #1992-3-1.
Jewish Boys’ Club
The Jewish Boys’ Club was formed in 1921, under the leadership of M. M. Cohen, and was funded by the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies. It operated out of a house on Simcoe Street, which had a games room, meeting rooms, library and offices. The Boys’ Club used various facilities around the city for its athletic programming.
The club primarily targeted disadvantaged boys from low income homes. It addressed the Y.M.H.A.’s gap in programming, since their focus at the time was on young adults rather than boys. It offered cultural programming, had basketball teams and ran a summer camp in cooperation with B’nai Brith.