Hebrew Literary and Athletic Club Basketball Team, 1920 Champions, B Section. Ontario Jewish Archives, photo #1773.
Hebrew Literary and Athletic Club
The Hebrew Literary and Athletic Club was one of the earliest Jewish clubs in the city. They were formed in 1914, and contrary to their name, had a purely athletic mandate.
“The Lits”, as they were commonly known, had their own teams that participated in baseball, rugby, basketball and hockey. Each team had both a junior and a senior division that competed against other Jewish and non-Jewish teams in the city.