First birthday of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. building at Bloor and Spadina, 12 December 1953. Ontario Jewish Archives, fonds 61:1-1:124..
Pictured left to right are: Louis Borsook, Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. President; Mrs. Nathan Perlmutter, Chairman of Women’s Activities; and Samuel Godfrey, O.B.E., Chairman of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. Executive Board.
Jewish Community Centre
The new Jewish Community Centre was dedicated on 3 February 1953. It was built with $1,500,000 in funds raised during two separate campaigns. The first began in 1948, and was spearheaded by Samuel Godfrey, Campaign Chairman, in association with the Wingate Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. This campaign raised approximately $350,000. The second -- a joint campaign with the Jewish Old Folks Home –with Samuel Godfrey and Abe Posluns as Co-Chairmen, raised approximately $1,250,000.
Although the new building was referred to as the Jewish Community Centre, the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. remained the official name, due to its historical association with the community. During its first year, the ‘Y’ celebrated its most successful season. Membership increased from 2,100 members in 1953 to 6,700 members in 1954, with 2,400 on the waiting list.