Orion Club at Toronto Island, ca. 1920. Ontario Jewish Archives, photo #1476.
The Orion Club was one of the early athletic clubs that amalgamated to become the Hebrew Association of Young Men’s and Young Women’s Clubs. This club was involved in sporting tournaments, competing against other clubs in the city.
The Hebrew Association of Young Men’s and Young Women’s Clubs
The Hebrew Association of Young Men’s and Young Women’s Clubs was formed in 1919, when twenty-one clubs amalgamated. They included: the Herzl Zion Club, the Hebrew Literary and Athletic Club (Sr. and Jr.), the Orion Club, the Felix Club, the Hebrew Students Club, the Disraeli Fraternity, the Nordau Zion Club, the D’Arcy Athletic Club, the Imperial Legioners, the Young Men’s Hebrew Club, the Judean Athletic Club, the Independent Order of Foresters, the Judah Girls, the Brandeis Girls, the Boot and Shoe Society, the Blossom Girls, the Toronto Independent Benevolent Jubilate Club, the Phoenix Social Club, the Cheskercovah Society, and the Memoph Circle.
The Association offered them operational support, while the individual clubs retained control over their programming. These clubs also had use of rented facilities located above shops in the Brunswick Avenue and College Street area, and later, at the Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah.